1. Registration is FREE! Please feel free to jump right on in, the water is a little frigid, but it warms up quickly!
    Dismiss Notice

unusual things you've caught fishing....here's mine..

Discussion in 'Talk, Talk (off topic)' started by bluedawg/beartrap, Dec 14, 2014.

1. bluedawg/beartrap

bluedawg/beartrap Well-Known Member

In 60+ years of fishing,I've caught or hung some very unusual things including used condoms,alligators, cottonmouths,owls,geese,a kitty cat,several rod and reels(none of them worth anything),a brick with a wire around it that i thought was a lake record bass(that's another story) but the most unusual was a coon with a spinnerbait.......and I've got a witness or i wouldn't tell this story..........

if you gonna catch a coon with a spinnerbait you got to have the right color and the right color is(was) a strike king 3/8 oz double willow leaf with gold blades and gold skirt.....more on that later........several years ago BFL had tournament on Millers Ferry which is on Alabama river south of Selma...lot of coons in that area......

me and my partner were practicing day before on a grassy flat throwing spinnerbaits with the hook rolled down to prevent hooking the fish......water was real shallow long ways out from the bank and I looked up ahead of us and saw about a half grown coon out in the water wading around looking for crawfish.....he didn't pay any attention to us as we got closer so I chunked my spinnerbait at him...it hit 3-4 feet from him and quick as a flash,he pounced on it...
    don't know if he wanted to eat it or make him a gold tooth but he was dead serious about getting that spinnerbait....I snatched it away about time he landed on it and he's sitting there looking all bewildered....should have left well enough alone but no,I chunked back over there again and it hit 2-3 feet from him.....he pounced again....and this time he wuz quicker than me and grabbed my spinnerbait and stuck it in his mouth and commenced backing up with that spinnerbait in his mouth and I'm pulling as hard as i can with 20lb test....
    now a coon has 4 foot drive and he was spinning all four feet trying to go backwards and I'm pulling as hard as i can trying to drag him toward the boat....fortunately for me the line broke (or he bit through it) because i don't what in the hell i would have done with a pizzed off coon had i been able to drag him to the boat....
    coon still hasn't figured out what's going on but he runs off a little ways and hops up on a log with my spinnerbait in his mouth..he takes that spinnerbait out of his mouth,holds it with his paws and commences to eat the worm trailer i had on it like an ear of corn...it was a Zoom worm and had salt in it and i guess it rubbed off on the skirt because when he finished the trailer he started eating the skirt.....I wish I would have had a video camera to record that coon holding that bait like an ear of corn and trying to pull that skirt off with his teeth......the rubber would stretch,then snap and slap him in the face and he'd shake his head and get him another bite...
    he finally ate all the skirt off...sniffed the spinnerbait a couple of times then threw it down and wandered off......bad part was that the water was so shallow and boggy I couldn't get close enough to get what was left of my spinnerbait....

2. Jazz

Jazz Warsaw Warrior

This post is hidden to guests.
    To view this post, please log in.
    If you are not a member, you will need to sign up.

3. n2ratfishin

n2ratfishin Well-Known Member

4. hsb

hsb Shore Whore Extraordinair

5. DIXIEDOG

DIXIEDOG Prostaff for Taylor worms

6. Wizard

Wizard Well-Known Member

7. Whodat

Whodat Exile

8. DIXIEDOG

DIXIEDOG Prostaff for Taylor worms

9. cd4th

cd4th Shoot first, shoot again