1. Registration is FREE! Please feel free to jump right on in, the water is a little frigid, but it warms up quickly!
    Dismiss Notice

What to do? LONG

Discussion in 'Talk, Talk (off topic)' started by hsb, Dec 29, 2013.

1. hsb

hsb Shore Whore Extraordinair

So I have worked at a grocery store as a 2nd job for 11 yrs come January in the same department since I started, primarily schedule has been Mon, Wed and Thurs 8a-12p and Sat/Sun 6p-10p. About 3 yrs ago I changed it a little to M/W/Thur 8a-1p and Sun 6p-10p. My availability set around my office schedule and Im on call 24-7. My office shedule is Mon/Wed/Thurs 3p-11p and Sat/Sun 7a-3p. My days off are Tues and Friday at both locations and Sat night at the store.

Couple weeks ago, I was speaking with the store manager and he said after the first of the year he and I were gonna have to have a talk about my availability and that because of my availability he was gonna have to move me from thr Grocery dept to the Front End (Cashier or bagger). I said for the past 11 years my availability hasnt been an issue. He responded with "Well it has been for the past 2 years and that now we are working under a new budget, new scheduling system and Im the store manager, so I can do what I want." He continues with well if I need you on a Friday from 1p-5p you're not available.

I also spoke with my dept manager about the issue and he doesnt seem to care. I said if I get moved, they are only hurting the store, between the fact that I bust my ass every day I am there, to the knowledge I have in the aisles (if asked where something is, I can walk up and put hands on it, if we dont have an item I can suggest an alternative. I go above and beyond in the customer service). I also told my mgr that until I made that change 3 yrs ago, I never had a Sat or Sunday night off unless I requested it. Not once did anyone every think, oh he has a full time job, a family, nothing. If I was ever given another day off on the shedule, it was usually a Wed. His was response to all of this was "Oh I didnt know that" he says that even though hes been the dept mgr for approx 3.5 yrs. He just doesnt care unless its about him directly.

What it appears it comes down to, is that he wants me to live my life around a 2nd job, which isnt going to happen. My life doesnt revolve around my full time job, let alone a part time job.

We are a Union company and plan on contacting the Union and as much as I would love to tell them to stick it, Mrs HSB and I are not sure that is a possibility.

So should I hope it goes by the way side and doesnt get brought up again, suck it up and get moved, fight it.

2. bamafishin

bamafishin Well-Known Member

This post is hidden to guests.
    To view this post, please log in.
    If you are not a member, you will need to sign up.

3. Jazz

Jazz Warsaw Warrior

4. Alan

Alan Proud Infidel

5. Jazz

Jazz Warsaw Warrior

6. hsb

hsb Shore Whore Extraordinair

7. DIXIEDOG

DIXIEDOG Prostaff for Taylor worms

8. Nebguy

Nebguy Awesome Eric!!